Friday, February 24, 2012

C is for Cookie



For the most part, cookies do not bother me. Perhaps they should as they can track my movements and can be used across websites. Still, targeted marketing just does not bug me. Perhaps it is because the cookies currently on my computer do not seem to be doing a very good job. They seem to think that I am a Spanish speaking new mother interested in scuba diving, extensive cosplay, and console gaming. I am not. I do occasionally delete my cookies, but not because I am afraid of what or who might be tracking my internet use.

3 comments:

  1. This post made me laugh. My cookies do a bit better but not completely. For all the hoopla about cookies, they don't seem to be doing a very good job.
    -Darenna Rainsdon

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very interesting when cookies "get it wrong" and assume things about us that are untrue - I wonder what about our browsing history indicates that we are a certain kind of person? Sometimes I'd like to peek under the hood and ask someone who knows to tell me why an algorithm says I should really be into horses/baseball/whatever

    ReplyDelete
  3. After this particular blog assignment, I became kind of obsessed with the whole "cookie" thing. I looked to see what kind of cookies were on my hard drive and I was shocked to see how much information was stored on there. I wasn't surprised to see that some of this information could give the wrong idea to some advertising agency.

    ReplyDelete