Saturday, March 10, 2012

Wiki Editing




For the assignment, I chose to edit the entry for the British science fiction series, Doctor Who. I chose to add one word to the description of the TARDIS . The word I chose to add was telepathic because the TARDIS has telepathic circuits . So far, no one has undone the edit despite my conscious decision not include a cititation even though I could. Perhaps people have just not noticed it since it is a minor edit and it is correct.

I was surprised at how easy it was to edit most topics. Some topics had locks, but most are availabe for anyone with computer access to change as they see fit. It is not surprising that people take advantage of this to not only provide differing opinions and update information but also to spread disinformation as a way to amuse theirselves.

4 comments:

  1. That's so funny! I wanted to add something Dr. Who related too but couldn't think of anything to add. What a great edit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice choice with Doctor Who. I watch Doctor Who sometimes. I prefer David Tennant to Matt Smith. What about you? It is interesting that you only chose to change one word and that nothing has changed yet. You could be right that a minor edit might not catch the word. Also, I noticed that some of the entries on Wikipedia could not be edited due to it having a picture of a lock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a long time fan and my favorite Doctor was the fourth doctor, Tom Baker, probably because he was my first Doctor. I like both Smith and Tennant, though I think Tennant is far cuter.

      Delete
  3. I think the fact that your edit stayed up is pretty exciting! I can imagine that it must have felt great to edit an article and not have your edit get taken down. I was also surprised at the ease of editing different topics and did not encounter any topics that had locks on them, although I probably would have if I had browsed a little more.

    ReplyDelete