Friday, March 30, 2012

Ontology


Directly below this paragraph is the hierarchical ontology I created for this week's blog post. I decided to categorize by what visual elements were present in each blog post. It took me a few tries before I decided to categorize things this way and it was not an easy decision. I wanted to create categories that would not have any cross categorization.


Blog posts with photographs



Blog posts with photographs I took

i. Disintermediation

Blog posts with photographs others took

Virus
Wiki-editing


Blog posts with other visuals


Blog posts with videos

Prosumption


Blog posts without videos or photographs

Cookies
Social Networking

I found adding tags to be a much easier task as I only had to think about what was in the post that I was currently tagging and I did not need to think of how it might relate to others posts.

I do think that tags are much more useful than hierarchical ontology as they allow for much more flexibility and more serendipitous discoveries.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree that adding tags is much more easier than I thought as well and that I think it helps a lot more than I realized as well. I really enjoyed the way that you organized everything by your different photos or various ways that you created your blog because I think that it was a very different approach to anything else that I have seen yet. it really helped me understanding how exactly to do this type of outline on my own blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your picture. That is how I felt as I tried to create a hierarchical ontology for my blog. It was much easier to use tags to describe blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was interesting that you chose to tag your post according to post and videos. I think for someone who was looking for a specific topic it would be difficult for them to find your blogs but if someone was looking for blogs with those specific categories and no topics it would be useful. Great pictures by the way!

    ReplyDelete